Thursday, February 21, 2008

Signs

In Ireland, license plates follow a format: XX(the year the car was first registered, or to tell everyone how old the vehicle you're driving is)AA (the county abbreviation for the county in which the car was first registered) and XXXX (numbers). So, mine is 00D5something, something something, which means mine is a 2000 registered in Dublin first.

For some reason, even though I have known the county codes (most of them are the first and last letters of the county name, i.e. CE for Clare) for some time now, I still do a double take at Kerry's: KY. For a split-second, my first thought is that they're from Kentucky!

Another sign, or headline, rather, caught my eye last night. "Air Strike May Hit 90,000 Passengers." Perhaps it's because I'm American and read the words "air strike" automatically in the context of war, but I seriously thought for a moment that possibly 90,000 people might die from some sort of missile attack. Then I realized that it was in reference to the air traffic control staff going on strike in Ireland's three main airports, which could delay some flights for people. Yeah, slight difference.

No comments: