Friday, February 08, 2008

The cat is sitting on me

Which is why this will be short - it's hard to type with such a behemoth on your forearms!

I noticed it had been ages since I posted something. That's not so say that I haven't tried. I have about 4 saved drafts on here, all of which are too whiny and negative to put in public space but have probably provided some therapy for me in my writing them.

I have a dear friend who has been on lots of adventures in her life and has maintained enough balance in all of that to continue on a successful career path. I had, for a number of years, dubbed her my "fabulous New York friend." And then she moved again. But she's still fabulous. Anyway, she advised me ages ago that if I move somewhere I have to give it two years to really know if I can like it there. I've always remembered that, largely because she's made some big moves in her life and has found success along the way. Naturally, I'd want to follow suit. Not that I always adhered to it. In the context she advised that originally, I uprooted from DC after only 4 short months.

After moving back to Indy from DC, I was very resolute in my decision. For all its pros and cons, Indy was my home and would continue to be. Until, of course an Irishman named Tristan skipped into my life and became my husband instead of just the far-flung email pen pal I expected. Now I've been in Ireland for exactly 2 years, 7 months and 10 days. One of my cool friends from work back in Indy, KAJ, gave me a Daruma doll as a going away gift. The doll is just a head with exotically painted features except for the eyes. The idea is that you paint one eye on the doll when you begin your journey and paint the other one upon completion. I painted the one eye on exactly 2 years, 7 months and 10 days ago. In the meantime, the doll has collected dust, but never his second eye. I haven't forgotten about it or determined that he's to remain a cyclops. I just don't know if my journey is complete yet.

I had this idea that I'd get a job in Ireland, be settled and feel whole here. I've made friends, have a wonderful husband and cat and family, a comfortable home and work. I don't know that I want to move back to Indy. It's not that. I suppose I'm just waiting to paint on the second eye - even after my 2 year deadline. I'll keep you posted if some lightening bolt moment prompts me to paint the poor thing's eye on.

No comments: