Friday, August 24, 2007

The Portal to the Past

I'm careful not to write about work here for all the world to read. It would be very easy to, of course, and even though I don't flatter myself enough to believe that I have that wide a readership that I could actually really incriminate myself too much, just as soon as I take that for granted, I could actually turn into one of those people who gets fired for airing their place of business's dirty laundry out on the internet.

However, as this is such a fun and cute story, I don't think I risk getting myself into any trouble here by sharing it. As you know, I work in a medieval castle entertaining and serving at banquets. We welcome people into the castle and have a bit of a show to give the night some framework as we serve their dinner and perform music, all the while dressed up in costume for the medieval theme.

It's usually quite fun when kids come to visit. They're often so excited about being a knight or princess for the evening. Some even come dressed up for the occasion. Just a couple nights ago, we had a very inquisitive young man pass through our doors. As loads of people were filing in, he insisted on staying back so that he could ask "a very important question." Fortunately, his dad was accompanying him who explained that his son is convinced that we travel through a portal in order to go back in time to be a part of the castle. So, the little lad, who couldn't have been more than 5, managed to get out (although his brain was so actively going, his mouth could hardly keep up to articulate the words for him!) "Um, um, um, is there a door to the portal?" Thankfully, our seasoned, talented and ever so sweet butler didn't miss a beat. He replied that a gatekeeper lets us in every night.

Of course, if the little guy knew that the portal was a very boring dressing room where we shed our 21st century gear to don our velvet frocks, he could be disappointed. No need. He was so off in his own element that I don't think a) anything could've spoiled it for him, or b)that anyone could actually be allowed into his own little world to actually ruin it for him. I think a lot of very magical things happen up there!

Just a little fun tidbit. I hope the gatekeeper lets you into your magic portal today, too!

No comments: