Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Soundtrack for a walk in County Clare

As a person who likes her music, I have my favorite tunes that I associate with memories and specific times in my life when they were new or popular. I don't tend to latch on to new popular artists quickly, rather I hold onto my old faves, many of whom were popular well before I was ever born. So, armed with my iPod, I set out for a walk today on one of the first decent days we've had in nearly a month. The sun is out, the air is dry and there is a light breeze - it's a beautiful spring day.

My walk goes behind our house on the 'back road' (seriously, that's what it's referred to for lack of street names and signage) toward the area of Rossmanagher. First, I dodge the orange cones of progress and development that are commonplace in Sixmilebridge these days, but not much further do I have to walk to be surrounded by fields dotted with cows and horses. To my right, it's grassy fields as far as you can see and the cows eye me suspiciously. On the left, the fields lie at the bottom of the great rolling landscape, which is so green it's almost cliche. More horses on this side, including some new ponies!

The soundtrack:
1. I'm Just a Girl, No Doubt
2. The Promise, Tracy Chapman
3. Everybody's Changing, Keane
4. Father and Daughter, Paul Simon
5. Small Town, John Mellencamp
6. Laura, Scissor Sisters
7. Landslide, Dixie Chicks
8. Pig, Dave Matthews Band
9. Clocks, Coldplay (for about 20 seconds)
10. If I Had a Million Dollars, Barenaked Ladies

By the time 'Father and Daughter' kicks in, I've passed through this lovely shady grove the stretches about a tenth of a mile and am right under the sun. (You have to pick up the pace under those trees because the evidence of tons of birds living in the branches above is all over the road!) This is a great song with the perfect beat for walking at a happy pace. The lyrics are sweet and the melody upbeat.

'Small Town' is one of those songs that will always remind me of home. I didn't think that I could ever associate it with anything other than Indiana, from Mellencamp's Seymour and Bloomington, IN roots to its significance to my former boss, the late Governor O'Bannon (he had it as his very fitting campaign theme song). Even though I wasn't actually born in a small town, rather a mid-size metropolitan area (slightly less poetic of course), I've always felt like this song means home. And today walking through my new home, it seemed very appropriate, too. It seems just right for reminding you not to take for granted the simple amenities that are right under your nose. And being able to make it part of my 'soundtrack' here in Ireland, kept me from choking up about missing Indiana.

Moving, on I made it up to the top of this road, where my father in law's family home is and where Tristan's uncle lives today. Another uncle of his lives next door and my brother in law lives in a new house across the street. I decided to turn around here, when the Scissor Sisters' song 'Laura' comes on. Nice and quirky with just the right tempo to keep me going and continue the necessary variety for me to forget I'm actually doing a physical activity.

After that, it's the Dixie Chicks' revision of Fleetwood Mac's 'Landslide'. I know what you're thinking, opera girl here likes the Dixie Chicks??? Not especially, but this song has a great earthy feel that I really like and as country goes, it's definitely not too twangy. At this point I'm back by the cows and horses again - what could be more appropriate?

After the Dixie Chicks, some Dave Matthews and then I decide to skip over Coldplay so that my happy walk isn't ruined by a fit of depression and I finish out with the Barenaked Ladies classic 'If I had a Million Dollars.' This band and this song in particular put a smile on my face no matter how many times I hear it. It reminds me especially of my senior year in college, which was so light-hearted and fun, which is exactly how the band is. Silly and full of life. That's the mood my walk put me in....and if these walks can help burn off some of the Kerry Gold, too, I'll be even happier!!!

No comments: