Thursday, May 25, 2006

Random tidbits

Just a collection of thoughts and observations...

Ah, the glory of Kerry Gold!
Kerry Gold is a brand of pure Irish butter. It is important to distinguish that it is Irish butter, because after you've had proper Irish butter, there's no way you'll go back to Land O' Lakes. Seriously. The character Amy in 'Little Women' said at their Christmas feast 'Isn't butter divinity?' I can only add an editorial comment that Irish butter is divinity. And Irish butter is pure sin, too. It is creamy, flavorful and makes toast one of the best meals you can possibly imagine. Before I moved here, one of the things I sincerely looked forward to about visiting was toast with butter. Sad? Not if you've had Irish butter. You can get Kerry Gold in the States. In Indy, O'Malia's carries it. If you're looking to really increase your fat intake in a satisfying way, you can't beat Kerry Gold.

I want a lamb
I technically live in rural Ireland. If I were in America, it would be considered the suburbs, but over here, it's a village in its own right and thus part of the rural Irish countryside. One cool thing about that is that there are still farms in the area, people can have animals without zoning restrictions and kids ride their horses on the village roads nearly every day. So, as this spring has unfolded and I've been essentially able to watch the grass in the back yard grow under my eyes, I've been inspired for an environmentally friendly alternative to the lawn mower: a sheep. Sheep populate the Irish landscape like dandelions. Granted this investment would be for when we have our own house, but I'm actually liking the idea of it more and more. At first it was a joke because I've found myself fawning over the cute lambs that have made an appearance over the past couple months. But the prospect is actually a realistic one. So, who knows, in a few years' time when you come visit us, you may have to 'beware of the sheep!'

Country store
As I live in the aforementioned Irish countryside, I hear more about locally grown products and organic farming, etc. Europe in general is increasingly concerned with healthier and more sustainable methods than our globalized, mass-produced ways have influenced over recent decades, so greater attention is being paid to local area growers and farmers. Lucky for me because I recently learned of a country store and cafe that pays particular attention to the quality and origin of the products it sells. It looked really cute and lovely on TV, so I grabbed a few friends and we drove to the Tipperary town of Nenagh (pronounced 'Nina') for lunch. This place is special. Not because of the decor or the service or any other reason other than what it offers: a variety of beautiful cheeses, chutneys and jams and preserves, sweets, bread, wine and a lovely cafe to sit down for lunch. We all enjoyed a wonderful lunch and bought bread and cheese to take home with us. From our 'ooh'ing' and 'ah'ing', you'd think we were in a museum. I suppose we were, in a way. But I think this will become more of the norm and less of a rarity. Let's hope so! http://www.countrychoice.ie (There are even some recipes on the site if you feel so inspired!)

No comments: